Tuesday, February 5, 2008

team assignments and Maya's "fun bags"

We got our team assignments the other day! Maya and I are both on the school/food distribution team. I must say that I am delighted to be on the school team. I am really looking forward to meeting all of the children, seeing the schools and watching all of the kids break through language barriers and really work together! Nothing like watching first hand the amazing beauty of children working together from 2 different cultures. I would dare say that some of our world leaders can learn a lot from the children! The only draw back of me being on the school team will be the fact that Maya and I will be together all day! I know that sounds terrible and I really don't mean it the way it sounds. What I really mean is that I was really looking forward to Maya having her own experience without me. I am hoping that the team is large enough that she and I will be doing different things, that I'm not always in her space and that she is able to gain some independece and her own experience! With all of that said I am really glad to be on the school team :)!

Maya created her flyers for the fun bags, we made 147 copies and she passed them all out to her school friends. She was so proud the day she came home from doing this! It was really neat to see her beaming as she walked in the door. We have had so many calls from friends and people we don't know very well. Everyone is delighted to be able to share in this trip with us. I only wish that i could carry as many bags as I wanted onto the plane! People are so amazingly generous, asking what else we might need. We are so limited in space that we are not able to take too many extras beyond the fun bags and all of the other doanted items such as OTC meds, baby clothes, crayons, polaroid film, and stickers, loads of stickers! I figure Maya and I can both fill those giant hockey bags with donations, one big suitcase with our clothes and one medium suitcasee with food and stuff. I'm sure we will go over the weight limit!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! I just got the email/flyer from Debbie Gravell - best wishes on your mission trip. You will be in our prayers, and Abbie, Noah, Chris and I will be sure to bring in some "Fun Bags" to church.
    Blessings,
    Michelle J. Barbour

    ReplyDelete